Encyclopedia of Everything Mountains
A glaciated peak rising high above the brown Tibetan Plateau; the heavily forested mountains of Central America; or the Rockies rising abruptly out of the open prairie --
the high peaks in the distance have always drawn humans toward them for
many reasons: scientific, recreational, or just plain adventure.
However, the importance of the world's high places reaches far beyond what most people may realize.
For example, they form a natural barrier of protection for the world's wilderness areas.
The natural rugged topography resists the encroachment of human activity, thus supplying pristine areas for the origin of fresh water, clean air, a safe haven for the world's endangered wildlife, etc.
Also these high peaks have a great impact on world climate cycles.
So whether you're a mountain junky like me, or someone looking for critical information before traveling to a high altitude environment,
or a student working on a research paper.
Whatever your reason, it is our goal to provide the most comprehensive info on the Earth's high places, as well as some from extraterrestrial bodies, to be found anywhere on the Net.
Constantly adding new pages - come back often!
Check Out Our New Facebook Page! Connect With New Friends And Discuss Your Favorite Mountain Topics And Adventures!
- Mountain Formation
- Great, easy to understand information on mountain formation from folded mountains to laccoliths
- Mountain Features
- Mountain features are the individual things that make up a complete mountain environment .....
- Highest Mountains of the World
- Learn about the world's highest mountains -- including the 14 peaks that rise 8,000 meters or more above sea level. Plus little known facts about the world's ACTUAL tallest mountains.
- Magma is the underlying cause of volcanoes ..... volcanic eruptions are divided into two main types: "Explosive" and "Quiet." The "explosive" type usually forms the .....
- The Seven Summits
- The Seven Summits refers to the highest peak on each of the seven continents of the world. Due to their distinction of .....
- Mountain Ranges of the World
- There are many different mountain ranges in the world, each with its own unique ...
- The Mountain Environment and Effects on World Climate
- The mountain environment is much wetter and colder than the surrounding lowlands. This is because ... this causes a profound effect on world climate as well as ......
- Mountain Plants
- Mountain plants have to face the most bewildering contrasts in living conditions of any plants found on Earth. These conditions are unbelievably harsh and impose great challenges to ......
- Mountain Animals
- Most high mountain animals are almost certainly fugitives, whether it be for a season or permanent residence, from the extreme competition for food, life and real estate in the crowded lowlands ......
- Mountain People
- Life for mountain people, as a rule, has always been a challenge. For this reason, it might appear that .......
- Important Facts about Mountain Safety
- Great information on mountain safety, from avalanches to dehydration to high altitude stroke.
- Keeping Warm in Cold Weather
- Hypothermia is an ever present danger in the mountains, so dressing properly is critical ... what you need to remember, for keeping warm in cold weather, is .......
- Acclimatization is critical for anyone traveling to the mountains, especially above ...
- High Altitude Cooking
- High altitude cooking can be tricky. This is primarily due to the decrease in barometric pressure ....
- Extraterrestrial Mountains
- There are many known extraterrestrial mountains on moons and planets. A lot of them are higher than the ones on earth , including the highest in ......
- Conversion Formulas and Charts
- This page is for miscellaneous info like: conversion formulas and charts .......